Get in touch

Get in Touch

Google Translate
Google Search
Home Page

Victoria Road Primary School

Inspiring a Love of Learning

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)


Miss Hawksley is our SENCO/Inclusion Manager and she will make sure that all the children with special needs or medical needs will get the help that they need at the school. When it is time for any child to move to another school, the SENCO and / or teachers will talk to the new school to make sure that they are told of the progress and the needs of the child.


Miss Hawksley can be contacted via the main school telephone Number 01233 620044 or via email at

Special Educational Needs Complaints


The normal arrangements for the treatment of complaints at Victoria Road Primary School are used for complaints about provision made for special educational needs.  We encourage parents to discuss their concerns with the class teacher, SENCo and Headteacher to resolve the issue before making the complaint formal to the Chair of the Governing Body.


If the complaint is not resolved after it has been considered by the Governing Body, then a disagreement resolution service or mediation service can be contracted.  If it remains unresolved after this, the complainant can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Need and Disability), if the case refers to disability discrimination, or to the Secretary of State for all other cases.


There are some circumstances, usually for children who have a Statement of SEN/Educational Health and Care Plan where there is a statutory right for parents to appeal against a decision of the Local Authority.  Complaints which fall within this category cannot be investigated by the school.

What is SEN?

SEN stands for Special Education Needs. Children with Special Education Needs are given extra help with their learning and / or coping with their emotions, behaviour or other medical reasons that make learning more difficult for them.


Levels of Support

There is a graduated response to supporting children with special educational needs, in class support, SEN support and Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP).



Class Support is the school's first level of support which will involve increasing support and monitoring progress prior to moving to SEN Support.


SEN Support consists of additional or different support and is sometimes provided by someone who comes into the school such as a speech and language therapist or specialist teacher. The school may at this stage apply for Higher Needs Funding to support the child.


If a child needs lots of support, teachers and parents may ask for an assessment by the Local Authority to see if an EHCP should be put in place. This means that any help provided is protected and checked carefully each year at a meeting. Children will be invited to attend that meeting if they wish. If a child with an EHCP plan moves to another school, the help will continue at the other school if that is appropriate.

The Local Offer


Every local authority must have a Local Offer. This tells you more about SEN and provides up to date information on services that are available in Kent. To find out more about the Local Offer please click on the following link:

SEN Policy - See School Policy section on our website