Modern Foreign Languages
Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) Statement of Intent
Learning another language is a vital part of being a member of a culturally diverse society. In our school we teach French as our modern foreign language.
At Victoria Road Primary School, we enable our pupils to celebrate and welcome the differences and similarities of other languages, cultures and countries.
Exposing children to a new language at a young age enables them to build on their knowledge in secondary school, become respectful and tolerant citizens, as well as excellent communicators.
Our Modern Foreign Language curriculum aims to inspire a love of languages as part of our children's lifelong journey of learning.
In Key Stage One, our pupils are taught some useful words and songs in different languages, reflecting our multi-cultural community.
In Key Stage Two, this continues alongside regular weekly teaching of French.
Our Aims in teaching a language are:
- To develop an interest in learning other languages.
- To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- To encourage children's confidence and creative skills through the exploration of another language.
- To stimulate and encourage children's curiosity about language.
- To help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- To develop speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
- To lay the foundations for future language learning.